Friday, May 1, 2009

Live-blogging: Game 23: LA Angels at New York Yankees

Copied from my guest-blogging on Rebecca's blog for the first inning:

Top of the 1st
*Pettitte looks like, well, Andy Pettitte. Couple-a baserunners, no runs, nice little pickoff. The 13 year-old in me wants to say "LOL @ Torii Hunter!!!!11" but I'm not 13, and I do not type like that. Seriously. You can't prove it. Nyuh! Nice pick by Andrew Eugene.

*Also,because I'm probably the biggest Melky fan in the world, I have to point out that that was a nice catch by Melk for the second out. Sometimes it's just about making the challenging catches look easy. Not, like some other Yankee centerfielders would show you, about making the simple catches look challenging.

Pssst: Congrats to Andrew Eugene, who now holds the major league record for career pickoffs.


Bottom of the 1st
*I like seeing Cap drawing walks, because his BB rate dropped dramatically from 2007 to 2008. I'd still like to see him bring his overall OBP up, however, because I'm getting a little annoyed with the jeers of "Jeter's in decline!" And when I don't want to hear something, I usually shut it out. Which involves me putting my hands over my ears and screaming. Ahem. Not 13. I swear. I also like that Jeet's been stealing some bases. Smart baserunning is often more important than sheer speed *cough* Brett Gardner *cough*

*Two walks in a row and a hot shot by Tex? Forget the fact that that was a 3-1 put out. Tex was doing his job. I'm excited for his inevitable hot streak. Gotta love his swing. Not as sweet as Cano's, in my opinion (I tell everyone who will listen that Cano has the sweetest lefty swing I've seen since Donnie.

*Speaking of Cano.....Have I mentioned that his natural swing is to send everything up the middle? That was some nice bat lag. 2-0 after the sac fly by Sui and the RBI single by Canoe.

*Oh hi there, Jorge Posada. Nice to have you healthy this year. 4-0 Yankees. Little FYI: Did you know that Jorge has his mask specially made with extra-wide ear guards because the ball was clipping his ears? No foolin'

*Melky was.....robbed. Yeah, that's it. I refuse to say anything negative about him. Hmph.

4-0 Yankees

Top of the 2nd
*I lied before. Andy's looking a little bit...off. He usually allows runners to reach via the base hit but that's two BBs already. It'd be nice to see him settle down.

*Maybe Andy has no double plays thus far because of defense like that. Nice, Jeter.

*Okay, THAT was some nice defense. Robinson Cano's defense is the most underrated part of his game. That and his style. Have you seen those pinky rings?

*If I may: It almost looks like Andy's a little bit too strong tonight. I'll have to monitor his pitch speed.

Bottom of the 2nd
*Nice bunt single to open the inning. You can only get away with that once during a game, unless you're Carlos Gomez. I still think the Santana trade was a bad idea.

*I'm kind of looking forward to when the Yankees play the Twins. I live in the host city of the Twins' AAA team, the Rochester Red Wings (now home to 25 guys who should be in AA), and it's always fun to see home-grown players in the major league.

*I'm generally not a fan of Gold Gloves, because of the obvious mentality behind the choosing of the winners (too much emphasis on offense, reputation preceding) but Torii Hunter just exhibited a nice display of that "making the challenging look routine" I mentioned before.

*Oh ouch, Tex. This is a little bit painful. Nice to see Pena getting on base so he can snag a few bases, though. The Yankees would be wise not to let Weaver settle in.

Top of the 3rd
*One turn deserves another on the bunt single front. Meanwhile, Gardner's in the game for Swish, presumably due to the elbow being hit. Why they put Gardner in center when he comes in at the end of games, I will never know. He's not a better defensive centerfielder than Melky, and that's not my bias showing.

*Can't help but wonder if Aybar goes for third base if Melky's in center.

*Andy's got to settle down and focus on the hitter. He needs his catcher to keep and eye on the runner at third, because, obviously, it's in Andy's head after Ellsbury's steal on Sunday.

*Big sigh of relief there for the big lefty.

Bottom of the 3rd
*Like I said. Don't let Weaver settle down. I'm sure Andy doesn't appreciate that quick inning, either.

Top of the 4th
*Even the outs are loud tonight. Guess it's one of those nights where we need good ol' Bend But Don't Break Pettitte.

*Button up your jersey, Napoli. Geez.

Bottom of the 4th
*Strikeout on three pitchers for Gardner. Heh. Ahem. That wasn't me laughing in derision.

*That was a superb pitch by Weaver to get Melky to ground out.

*This is the epitome of fine baseball broadcasting as the guys in the booth are discussing whether or not Melky and Gardner root for each other or sit on the bench and sulk.

Top of the 5th
*This is the inning for Pettitte. I don't have a pitch count on him, but a quick inning here would be huge because it doesn't look like Weaver's going to budge any farther.

*Okay, flashing a little leather by the captain. I don't have a huge problem with his defense,unlike the elusive "some people" but it's nice to see some range. By the way, if anyone's interested in defensive tracking, NoMaas.org displays each position player's defensive rating (plus or minus runs comparable to the average) every week. Pay special attention to Melky's compared to Gardner's. Or so I say.

*I have to say, I was one of the biggest supporters of the "Bring Back Abreu" movement (yes there was so a movement!!!) but I didn't love his defense. I miss him a lot, though, even though Teixeira's numbers will virtually replicate his (in theory).

*Phew. Nice play by Jeet to his left. Andy's shut the Angels out through five, amazingly. How much you wanna be he'll be less than thrilled with this start after the game?

Bottom of the 5th
*Hey, remember Jeff Weaver, everyone? No? Were you like me and drank your way through every one of his Yankee starts? I don't blame you. Thanks to Michael Kay, I now know that he's a Dodger. Just got called up, in fact. I wonder if the Weavers got a place together in LA?

*Oh, Teixeira. At least that ball was (somewhat) up the middle. I wonder how differently he'd feel if that ball outside first base wasn't stopped for a putout?

*Yankees going down quietly (ha) these past few innings. I'd feel better with a few more runs on the board, to be honest.


Top of the 6th
*Oh, hey, looks like Swish is going to live. Day-to-day with his elbow.

*Now would be a nice time for a ground ball double play, guys.

*I'm eating some delicious tropical-flavored generic brand popsicles that I got at Wegman's for $0.99 a box.

*Things getting a little bit sweaty here for Andy and the Yankees. Angels have 2nd and 3rd with one out. Meanwhile, Flaherty's math is a little fuzzy, as he suggests that a three-run home run would tie the game. Good times on YES.

*BIG strikeout for Andy there. Now an out doesn't score a run.

*But a base hit does. Yikes. 4-2 Yankees.

*So much for Pena's slick defense. If that run comes around to score....well...I have no threat that I can execute. So, let's just say it'll be a shame.

*What could have been an inning-ending groundout has spiraled into a bases-loaded situation. Let's hope that was Andy's "bad" start for the month.

*It's Mark Melancon! Now would be a very poor time for him to allow a run.

*Oh boy....What did I say about the Yankees needing to tack on a few runs? I'm sure Andy's thinking he could have done that. (sidebar: Melky would have thrown someone out on that play. I'm just saying.) Only the sixth inning, though! And, because I have to say it: Ramiro Pena.

*What a sloppy, sloppy play allowing Matthews to score. I'm shaking my head. You can't see me, but I am. In other news: Hey, how great was The Office this week?

*Now the Yankees are just throwing that ball all over the field. It's like the wheels fell off this game. (I know that a game doesn't have wheels. But if it did...)

6-4 Angels

Bottom of the 6th
*No one ever listens to me. What did I say about letting Weaver settle down? But nooo. The Yankees had to lie down on him (ha).

*Remember Danny Tartabull? I wonder what he's up to these days.

*Nice shot down the line for Melky but it hung up too long. I don't like the idea of facing the Angels' bullpen while trailing, but the Yankees have put themselves in this spot. Nine outs left.


Top of the 7th
*The disparity of the results against Veras when he throws his first pitch for a strike or not is startling. It's almost like he can't recover from a first pitch ball. Leadoff walk.

*And the first two hitters reach. I haven't had a great feeling about this game since it started, but I'll be thrilled to be wrong. What are the chances Veras gets a ground-ball DP here?

*Here's the thing, Jose: When you can't find the strike zone, the umpire won't give you close pitches. Aaaand now it's 7-4 Angels. Sometimes Veras makes me want to shake him. If he were throwing strikes and getting beaten, it's frustrating enough, but to see a pitcher unable (unwilling?) to throw strikes makes a fan want to throw her game-used Melky Cabrera batting gloves at her television.

*Little-known fact: The suicide squeeze is my favorite play in baseball. I was thrilled when Torre called for it on July 6th, 2007. With Jorge Posada on third, Miguel Cairo laid down a perfect squeeze bunt, making my little heart leap for joy. Better-known fact: I hate when other teams use that play against the Yankees.

*Bullpens are funny. What was the Yankees' biggest strength for most of 2008 has become a huge liability. Same thing with the 07 to 08 Red Sox. Odd how the same group of guys can look dominant one year and horrendous the next.

*I don't advocate booing your own team, but the sheer and utter frustration of seeing pitcher after pitcher come in and implode is so. completely. frustrating. I. could. scream.

*Melky made a nice catch there. The difference between his arm strength and Gardner's is astounding.

*Is it really necessary to keep playing "God Bless America" every game?

9-4 Angels

Bottom of the 7th
*This is the telltale inning, I think. If the Yankees let the Angels shut them down, you can mark this one a Yankee loss. Comebacks do happen, but a 5-run deficit will be difficult to make up against Shields and Fuentes. It'd be nice to see some fight in them. Also, have I mentioned what a big Farnsworth fan I am? This is important to know about me because it'll probably make you hate me. If it doesn't? We're golden.

*Derek "Rally Killer" Jeter up now with a runner on. I can't watch.

*So now we have the same situation as before Jeter was up, only with one out and a slower runner at first. Nice.

*Teixeira seriously can't catch a break. Still 9-4 Angels

Top of the 8th
*Oh, sorry, I think I fell asleep there. Hey, does YES have to include a Yankee for Player of the Game candidate? That seems ridiculous in some losses.

Bottom of the 8th
*Looks like Matsui's hitting streak is over. Sad-face for Matsui there. DiMaggio's record really does look like it will be unbroken. Meanwhile, how great is Cano?

*Why does the American League only have 14 teams and the National has 16? Does that make sense?

*Look at Gardner earning his keep. This would be a nice time for Melky not to embarrass me. Again, I can't look. See? Typing with my eyes closed.

*Oh thank god. 9-5 Angels

*Hey, whadda ya know! Ramiro Pena! Forget the fact that he whiffed on the third out in the 6th inning. That was a great hit. Michael Kay just pointed out something I've been noticing: the resiliency of this 2009 Yankees offense. Maybe they know how crummy their bullpen is, too. 9-8 Angels after Jeter's RBI groudout. Now would be a good time for the bullpen to hold the score right there.

Top of the 9th
*I like Albaladejo's stuff a lot. I think he's a good young pitcher. But his outing against Detroit was a little bit worrisome. But, hey, the Yankees got him for Tyler Clippard, who's in AA right now.

*Nice inning for Alby and more slick defense by Cano. Kid's a solidfour-tool player with superstar potential. Here we go. It comes down to Tex, Sui, and Cano vs. Fuentes.

Bottom of the 9th(dun dun dun)
*Runners on first and second, no one out. My heart can't take this. I wish Robbie could bunt at times like this, although it'd be foolish to have your hottest hitter bunt.

*Unfortunately, with average speed on the bases, the Yankees are a little bit handcuffed. I don't know how much faster Berroa is than Matsui, either.

*Well color me wrong, and happy to be so. This offense is pretty remarkable so far. Excellent win for the Yankees. Final score: 10-9 Yankees

1 comment:

YankeeJosh said...

The crowd has been really harsh on the Yankees. That Sixth inning was ugly, but they've been playing pretty well. From the boos for Teixeira to the boos for Posada on that ground out. I'm a bit disapponted.

Really enjoying reading the liveblog.